Knickerbocker(redirected from Knickerbockers (disambiguation))
Also found in: Encyclopedia.
a. A descendant of the Dutch settlers of New York.
b. A native or inhabitant of New York.
2. knickerbockers Full breeches gathered and banded just below the knee; knickers.
[After Diedrich Knickerbocker, , fictitious author of History of New York by Washington Irving.]
1. a descendant of the original Dutch settlers of New York
2. an inhabitant of New York
[C19: named after Diedrich Knickerbocker, fictitious Dutchman alleged to be the author of Washington Irving's History of New York (1809)]
Knick•er•bock•er(ˈnɪk ərˌbɒk ər)
1. a native or resident of the state of New York.
2. a descendant of the Dutch settlers of New York.
3. knickerbockers, knickers (def. 1).
[generalized from Diedrich Knickerbocker, fictitious author of Washington Irving's History of New York (1809)]