References in periodicals archive ?
Lombard's recollection of dog team and komatik trips also demonstrates her spirit.
Scottie had bought the snowmobile after a good winter's hunting, but it was too heavy to go where his komatik had gone, and next winter, braaak, it went through the ice.
"They always tow a big komatik [an Inuit sled, designed to travel on snow and ice].
Seventeen days riding a snowmobile hard in minus-70-degree weather while pulling a sled (called a Komatik) loaded with 907 kilograms of gear isn't everyone's idea of adventure.
One "true tale" illustrates this point: Learning of a boy in a distant settlement who is suffering from an infected wound, Grenfell assembles his dog team, mounts his komatik (sled) and dashes off, heedless of the ominous weather.
Most charming and useful local device: The komatik, a sled used mainly for hauling firewood out of the bush.
Nigel says: "One time these Inuit hunters very kindly took me on a Komatik, a lowslung motorised sled, but they were going extremely fast and I was literally thrown a metre into the air over some of the bumps.
In them, you can look up words like igloo, umiak, ulu, kayak, komatik, and muktuk; all Inuktitut words."
In winter, they travel by snowmobile and komatik (Inuit sled) to fetch buckets of water, thus incurring significant costs.
The first populations, likely traveling mainly by umiak (open skin boat), but perhaps at times by komatik (dog sled), would have had to travel either north or south of Victoria Island in order to reach the rich environments of the eastern Arctic, particularly around Lancaster Sound, Prince Regent Inlet, Foxe Basin, Smith Sound, and neighbouring areas.
Dictionary browser ?
- Kolkwitzia amabilis
- Kollwitz Käthe
- Kolyma Range
- Komandorski Islands
- Komi Autonomous Republic
- Komi Republic
- Komodo dragon
- Komodo lizard
- Kon Tiki
- Kong the Master
Full browser ?
- Komara Iraqê
- Komara Iraqê
- Komarappa Gounder Ramalingam
- Komarov, Matvei
- Komarov, Nikolai
- Komarov, Nikolai Pavlovich
- Komarov, Petr
- Komarov, Petr Stepanovich
- Komarov, Vladimir
- Komarov, Vladimir Leontevich
- Komarov, Vladimir Mikhailovich
- Komarovo Culture
- Komarovskii, Aleksandr
- Komarovskii, Aleksandr Nikolaevich
- Komarovsky, Mirra
- Komati Downstream Development Project
- Komatsu Airport, Japan
- Komatsu America Corporation
- Komatsu America International Company
- Komatsu Australia Corporate Finance Pty. Ltd.
- Komatsu Brasil International
- Komatsu Business Support
- Komatsu Changzhou Construction Machinery
- Komatsu China Mining Limited
- Komatsu Cummins Chile
- Komatsu Diesel
- Komatsu do Brasil
- Komatsu Europe Coordination Center
- Komatsu Finance America
- Komatsu Financial Europe
- Komatsu General Services
- Komatsu Industries Corporation
- Komatsu Industries Europe
- Komatsu Marketing Support Australia
- Komatsu Middle East
- Komatsu Reman Indonesia
- Komatsu Used Equipment Corporation
- Komatsu Utility Europe
- Komazawa Park International School
- Kombat Instruments Ltd.