Kuwait(redirected from Kowait)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A country of the northeast Arabian Peninsula at the head of the Persian Gulf. Settled by Arab tribes in the early 1700s, it became a British protectorate in 1897 and an independent kingdom in 1961. Iraq invaded and occupied the country in 1990, sparking the Persian Gulf War (1991), which ended with Iraqi troops being driven out by a coalition of Arab and Western forces. With its major oil reserves, discovered in 1938, it has one of the highest per capita incomes in the world. The city of Kuwait is its capital.
2. also Kuwait City The capital of Kuwait, in the east-central part of the country on the Persian Gulf. It was heavily damaged during the Gulf War.
Ku·wait′i (-wā′tē) adj. & n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) a state on the NW coast of the Persian Gulf: came under British protection in 1899 and gained independence in 1961; invaded by Iraq in 1990; liberated by US-led UN forces 1991 in the Gulf War: mainly desert. The economy is dependent on oil. Official language: Arabic. Official religion: Muslim. Currency: dinar. Capital: Kuwait. Pop: 2 695 316 (2013 est). Area: 24 280 sq km (9375 sq miles)
2. (Placename) the capital of Kuwait: a port on the Persian Gulf. Pop: 1 225 000 (2005 est)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a sovereign monarchy in NE Arabia, on the NW coast of the Persian Gulf: formerly a British protectorate. 1,991,115; ab. 8000 sq. mi. (20,720 sq. km).
2. the capital of this monarchy. 167,750.
Ku•wai′ti (-ˈweɪ ti) n., pl. -tis, adj.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Kuwait - a seaport on the Persian Gulf and capital of Kuwait|
|2.||Kuwait - an Arab kingdom in Asia on the northwestern coast of the Persian Gulf; a major source of petroleum|
Arab League - an international organization of independent Arab states formed in 1945 to promote cultural and economic and military and political and social cooperation
OPEC, Organization of Petroleum-Exporting Countries - an organization of countries formed in 1961 to agree on a common policy for the production and sale of petroleum
Middle East, Mideast, Near East - the area around the eastern Mediterranean; from Turkey to northern Africa and eastward to Iran; the site of such ancient civilizations as Phoenicia and Babylon and Egypt and the birthplace of Judaism and Christianity and Islam; had continuous economic and political turmoil in the 20th century; "the Middle East is the cradle of Western civilization"
Gulf States - the countries in southwestern Asia that border the Persian Gulf
capital of Kuwait, Koweit, Kuwait, Kuwait City - a seaport on the Persian Gulf and capital of Kuwait
Asia - the largest continent with 60% of the earth's population; it is joined to Europe on the west to form Eurasia; it is the site of some of the world's earliest civilizations
Kuwaiti - a native or inhabitant of Kuwait
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Kuwait[kʊˈweɪt] N → Kuwait m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Kuwait[kʊˈweɪt] n → Koweït m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Kuwait nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Kuwait[kʊˈweɪt] n → il Kuwait m
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
Kuwait→ الكُوَيْتُ Kuvajt Kuwait Kuwait Κουβέιτ Kuwait Kuwait Koweït Kuvajt Kuwait クウェート 쿠웨이트 Koeweit Kuwait Kuwejt Coveite, Kuwait Кувейт Kuwait ประเทศคูเวต Kuveyt nước Kuwait 科威特
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009