Kuwait(redirected from Kuwayt)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A country of the northeast Arabian Peninsula at the head of the Persian Gulf. Settled by Arab tribes in the early 1700s, it became a British protectorate in 1897 and an independent kingdom in 1961. Iraq invaded and occupied the country in 1990, sparking the Persian Gulf War (1991), which ended with Iraqi troops being driven out by a coalition of Arab and Western forces. With its major oil reserves, discovered in 1938, it has one of the highest per capita incomes in the world. The city of Kuwait is its capital.
2. also Kuwait City The capital of Kuwait, in the east-central part of the country on the Persian Gulf. It was heavily damaged during the Gulf War.
Ku·wait′i (-wā′tē) adj. & n.
1. (Placename) a state on the NW coast of the Persian Gulf: came under British protection in 1899 and gained independence in 1961; invaded by Iraq in 1990; liberated by US-led UN forces 1991 in the Gulf War: mainly desert. The economy is dependent on oil. Official language: Arabic. Official religion: Muslim. Currency: dinar. Capital: Kuwait. Pop: 2 695 316 (2013 est). Area: 24 280 sq km (9375 sq miles)
2. (Placename) the capital of Kuwait: a port on the Persian Gulf. Pop: 1 225 000 (2005 est)
1. a sovereign monarchy in NE Arabia, on the NW coast of the Persian Gulf: formerly a British protectorate. 1,991,115; ab. 8000 sq. mi. (20,720 sq. km).
2. the capital of this monarchy. 167,750.
Ku•wai′ti (-ˈweɪ ti) n., pl. -tis, adj.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Kuwait - a seaport on the Persian Gulf and capital of Kuwait|
|2.||Kuwait - an Arab kingdom in Asia on the northwestern coast of the Persian Gulf; a major source of petroleum|
Arab League - an international organization of independent Arab states formed in 1945 to promote cultural and economic and military and political and social cooperation
OPEC, Organization of Petroleum-Exporting Countries - an organization of countries formed in 1961 to agree on a common policy for the production and sale of petroleum
Middle East, Mideast, Near East - the area around the eastern Mediterranean; from Turkey to northern Africa and eastward to Iran; the site of such ancient civilizations as Phoenicia and Babylon and Egypt and the birthplace of Judaism and Christianity and Islam; had continuous economic and political turmoil in the 20th century; "the Middle East is the cradle of Western civilization"
Gulf States - the countries in southwestern Asia that border the Persian Gulf
capital of Kuwait, Koweit, Kuwait, Kuwait City - a seaport on the Persian Gulf and capital of Kuwait
Asia - the largest continent with 60% of the earth's population; it is joined to Europe on the west to form Eurasia; it is the site of some of the world's earliest civilizations
Kuwaiti - a native or inhabitant of Kuwait
Kuwait[kʊˈweɪt] N → Kuwait m
Kuwait[kʊˈweɪt] n → Koweït m
n → Kuwait nt