Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
The part of the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada, on the North American mainland. Controlled by the Hudson's Bay Company in the 1800s, the area was claimed by Quebec until 1927, when it was awarded to Newfoundland. Labrador is located on the northeast portion of the Labrador Peninsula, the eastern end of mainland Canada between Hudson Bay and the Atlantic Ocean, and forms the southern edge of the Labrador Sea, an arm of the northern Atlantic Ocean between eastern Canada and southwest Greenland.
Lab′ra·dor′e·an, Lab′ra·dor′i·an adj. & n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) Also called: Labrador-Ungava a large peninsula of NE Canada, on the Atlantic, the Gulf of St Lawrence, Hudson Strait, and Hudson Bay: contains most of Quebec and the mainland part of the province of Newfoundland and Labrador; geologically part of the Canadian Shield. Area: 1 619 000 sq km (625 000 sq miles)
2. (Placename) Also called: Coast of Labrador a region of NE Canada, on the Atlantic and consisting of the mainland part of Newfoundland and Labrador province
3. (Breeds) (often not capital) short for Labrador retriever
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a peninsula in E Canada between Hudson Bay and the Atlantic, containing the provinces of Newfoundland and Quebec.
2. the E portion of this peninsula, constituting the mainland part of Newfoundland. 113,641 sq. mi. (294,330 sq. km).
3. (sometimes l.c.) Labrador retriever.
Lab•ra•dor•e•an, Lab•ra•dor•i•an (ˌlæb rəˈdɔr i ən) adj., n.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Labrador - the mainland part of the province of Newfoundland and Labrador in the eastern part of the large Labrador-Ungava Peninsula in northeastern Canada|
Newfoundland and Labrador - a Canadian province on the island of Newfoundland and on the mainland along the coast of the Labrador Sea; became Canada's 10th province in 1949
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
labrador[ˈlæbrədɔː] N → labrador m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
labrador[ˈlæbrədɔːr] labrador retriever, Labrador retriever n → labrador mlab technician n → technicien(ne) m/f de laboratoire
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Labradorhund m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007