Ladin(redirected from Ladins)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A Rhaeto-Romance language spoken in the Dolomite Alps of northern Italy.
2. Romansh as spoken in Engadine between Saint Moritz and the Austrian border.
3. A person who is a native speaker of either of these languages.
[Rhaeto-Romance, from Latin Latīnus, Latin; see Latin.]
[C19: from Italian ladino, from Latin latīnus Latin]
1. a Rhaeto-Romance dialect spoken in several valleys of the Dolomites in NE Italy.
2. the two Rhaeto-Romance dialects of the Engadine valley in the canton of Grisons, Switzerland.
[1875–80; < Romansh < Latin Latīnus Latin]