Mentioned in ?
References in classic literature ?
Lennox, and when I said something about the Lakes of Killarney, he sighed and and, with a look at me.
Perhaps no district throughout the wide extent of the intermediate frontiers can furnish a livelier picture of the cruelty and fierceness of the savage warfare of those periods than the country which lies between the head waters of the Hudson and the adjacent lakes.
Where the old land surveyor had put down woods, lakes, and rivers, they marked out the cleared spaces, and dotted the villages and towns, and calculated the progressively increasing value of the territory, as if there were yet a prospect of its ultimately forming a princedom for themselves.
Say, you are in the country; in some high land of lakes.
Moreover, while in most other animals that I can now think of, the eyes are so planted as imperceptibly to blend their visual power, so as to produce one picture and not two to the brain; the peculiar position of the whale's eyes, effectually divided as they are by many cubic feet of solid head, which towers between them like a great mountain separating two lakes in valleys; this, of course, must wholly separate the impressions which each independent organ imparts.
Perhaps the summertime suggests to you thoughts of the country, visions of green fields and mountains and sparkling lakes.
The Rigi-Kulm is an imposing Alpine mass, six thousand feet high, which stands by itself, and commands a mighty prospect of blue lakes, green valleys, and snowy mountains-- a compact and magnificent picture three hundred miles in circumference.
A gigantic eruption, like that of Krakatoa a few years ago, with the accompanying earthquakes, tidal waves, and clouds of volcanic dust, changes the face of the surrounding landscape beyond recognition, bringing down the high lands, elevating the low, making fair lakes where deserts had been, and deserts where green prairies had smiled before.
In turn he took his place in the reading class and made a botch of it; then in the geography class and turned lakes into mountains, mountains into rivers, and rivers into continents, till chaos was come again; then in the spelling class, and got "turned down," by a succession of mere baby words, till he brought up at the foot and yielded up the pewter medal which he had worn with ostentation for months.
He had wandered by blue lakes and thought them; he had lain on mountain-sides with sheets of deep blue gentians blooming all about him and flower breaths filling all the air and he had thought them.
Thus roving on In confus'd march forlorn, th' adventrous Bands With shuddring horror pale, and eyes agast View'd first thir lamentable lot, and found No rest: through many a dark and drearie Vaile They pass'd, and many a Region dolorous, O're many a Frozen, many a Fierie Alpe, Rocks, Caves, Lakes, Fens, Bogs, Dens, and shades of death, A Universe of death, which God by curse Created evil, for evil only good, Where all life dies, death lives, and nature breeds, Perverse, all monstrous, all prodigious things, Abominable, inutterable, and worse Then Fables yet have feign'd, or fear conceiv'd, GORGONS and HYDRA'S, and CHIMERA'S dire.
A king sat in a little boat on one of those deep, still lakes that open like a bright eye in the midst of the Norwegian mountains.
Dictionary browser ?
- Lake Success
- Lake Superior
- Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tana
- Lake Tanganyika
- Lake Trasimenus
- lake trout
- Lake Tsana
- Lake Urmia
- Lake Vanern
- Lake Victoria
- Lake Volta
- lake whitefish
- Lake whiting
- Lake Winnipeg
- Lakeland terrier
- Lakshadweep Islands
- la-la land
- Lalique René Jules
Full browser ?
- Lakelands Design Review Committee
- Lakelands Trail State Park
- Läkemedelsverkets Föreskrifter
- Lakenheath Clay Target Centre
- Lakepoint Resort State Park
- Lakeport State Park
- Laker World Order
- Lakerbai, Mikhail
- Lakerbai, Mikhail Aleksandrovich
- Lakeridge Health Port Perry
- Lakeridge Health Whitby Foundation
- Lakeridge High School
- Lakes and Watershed Commission
- Lakes and Waterways Development Authority
- Lakes Area Amateur Radio Club
- Lakes Area Chamber of Commerce
- Lakes Area Community Band
- Lakes Area GMRS Repeater Group
- Lakes Area Human Resources Association
- Lakes Area Police Department
- Lakes Area Violet Growers
- Lakes Area Youth Soccer League
- Lakes Basin Management Area
- Lakes College West Cumbria
- Lakes District Health Board
- Lakes Ladies Golf Association
- Lakes Lay Monitoring Program
- Lakes Management Advisory Committee
- Lakes of Missouri Volunteer Program
- Lakes of Muskoka Cottage Brewery, Inc.
- Lakes of the Four Seasons
- Lakes Region Bed and Breakfast Association
- Lakes Region Community Services Council
- Lakes Region Conservation Trust
- Lakes Region Furniture Outlet
- Lakes Region General Hospital
- Lakes Region Greyhound Park
- Lakes Region Management Club
- Lakes Region Mutual Fire Aid
- Lakes Region Sled Dog Club
- Lakes Region Summer Theatre
- Lakes Region Symphony Orchestra