Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Lallans: Scots language
Lal·lan(lăl′ən) also Lal·lans (-ənz)
1. The Lowlands of Scotland.
2. Scots as spoken in southern and eastern Scotland.
[Scots, alteration of lowland.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Languages) a literary version of the variety of English spoken and written in the Lowlands of Scotland
2. (Placename) (modifier) of or relating to the Lowlands of Scotland or their dialects
3. (Languages) (modifier) of or relating to the Lowlands of Scotland or their dialects
[Scottish variant of Lowlands]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the Lowlands of Scotland.
2. (used with a sing. v.)
b. a form of literary Scots used in the 20th century.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.