Also found in: Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Landtag: Bundestag
n. pl. Land·tag·e (-tä′gə)
1. The legislative assembly of many German-speaking polities, including most German states.
2. A diet or assembly in some German states in the 19th century.
[German : Land, country (from Middle High German lant; see landsman2) + Tag, day, diet, assembly (from Middle High German, from Old High German, influenced by Medieval Latin diēta, diet; see agh- in Indo-European roots).]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the legislative assembly of each state in present-day Germany and Austria
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the estates of principalities in medieval and modern Germany
3. (Historical Terms) the assembly of numerous states in 19th-century Germany
4. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the assembly of numerous states in 19th-century Germany
[C16: German: land assembly]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
the legislature of certain states in Germany.
[< German: literally, land parliament]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.