Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. Lao or Laos (louz)
1. A member of a traditionally Buddhist people inhabiting the area of the Mekong River in Laos and Thailand.
2. The Tai language of the Lao.
Of or relating to the Lao or their language or culture.
[Lao Láo, perhaps from láo, person (unattested sense), third person common-gender pronoun.]
1. (Peoples) another name for Laotian
2. (Languages) another name for Laotian
3. (Placename) another name for Laotian
(Automotive Engineering) Laos (international car registration)
n., pl. Laos (laʊz)
(esp. collectively) Lao.
1. a member of a people of Laos and N Thailand.
2. the Tai language of the Laos.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Lao - a member of a Buddhist people inhabiting the area of the Mekong River in Laos and Thailand and speaking the Lao language; related to the Thais|
Lao People's Democratic Republic, Laos - a mountainous landlocked communist state in southeastern Asia; achieved independence from France in 1949
|2.||Lao - the Tai language of a Buddhist people living in the area of the Mekong River in Thailand and Laos|
Tai - the most widespread and best known of the Kadai family of languages
|Adj.||1.||Lao - of or relating to a member of the Buddhist people inhabiting the Mekong river in Laos and Thailand|