leopard(redirected from Leapord)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
a. A large wild cat (Panthera pardus) of Africa and southern Asia, having either tawny fur with dark rosettelike markings or black fur.
b. Any of several similar felines, such as the cheetah or the snow leopard.
2. Heraldry A lion in side view, having one forepaw raised and the head facing the observer.
[Middle English, from Old French leupart, from Late Latin leopardus, from Greek leopardos : Greek leōn, lion; see lion + Greek pardos, pard; see pard.]
1. (Animals) Also called: panther a large feline mammal, Panthera pardus, of forests of Africa and Asia, usually having a tawny yellow coat with black rosette-like spots
2. (Animals) any of several similar felines, such as the snow leopard and cheetah
3. (Animals) clouded leopard a feline, Neofelis nebulosa, of SE Asia and Indonesia with a yellowish-brown coat marked with darker spots and blotches
4. (Heraldry) heraldry a stylized leopard, painted as a lion with the face turned towards the front
5. the pelt of a leopard
[C13: from Old French lepart, from Late Latin leōpardus, from Late Greek leópardos, from leōn lion + pardos pard2 (the leopard was thought at one time to be the result of cross-breeding)]
ˈleopardess fem n
1. a large, powerful, spotted Asian or African cat, Panthera pardus, usu. tawny with black markings.
2. the fur or pelt of this animal.
3. any similar cat, as the snow leopard.
4. a heraldic lion presented passant guardant.
[1250–1300; Middle English < Late Latin leōpardus < Greek leópardos, syncopated variant of leontópardos=leonto-, comb. form of léōn lion + párdos pard1]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||leopard - the pelt of a leopard|
|2.||leopard - large feline of African and Asian forests usually having a tawny coat with black spots|
genus Panthera, Panthera - lions; leopards; snow leopards; jaguars; tigers; cheetahs; saber-toothed tigers
leopardess - female leopard
panther - a leopard in the black color phase
leopard[ˈlɛpərd] n → léopard m
a type of large spotted animal of the cat family. luiperd نِمِر леопард leopardo leopard der Leopard leopard λεοπάρδαληleopardo leopard گربه وحشی leopardi léopardנמר तेंदुआ leopard leopárd macan tutul hlébarði leopardo ひょう 표범 leopardas leopards harimau bintang luipaardleopardlampart وحشى پيشو leopardo leopard леопард leopard leopard leopard leopard เสือดาว pars, panter 花豹 леопард چیتا con báo 豹