tanning(redirected from Leather tanning)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Leather tanning: vegetable tanning
1. The art or process of making leather from rawhides.
a. Darkening of the skin by exposure to the sun.
b. Darkening of the skin by various other means such as sprays, lotions, or artificial sunlight.
3. Informal A beating; a whipping.
1. the act of causing (one's skin) to tan
2. (Tanning) the act tanning a skin or hide
1. the process or art of converting hides or skins into leather.
2. a browning or darkening of the skin, as by exposure to the sun.
3. a thrashing; whipping.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tanning - process in which skin pigmentation darkens as a result of exposure to ultraviolet light|
|2.||tanning - beating with a whip or strap or rope as a form of punishment|
whacking, beating, drubbing, licking, thrashing, trouncing, lacing - the act of inflicting corporal punishment with repeated blows
self-flagellation - self-punishment inflicted by whipping
horsewhipping - the act of whipping with a horsewhip; "that villain needs a good horsewhipping"
|3.||tanning - making leather from rawhide|
tanning[ˈtænɪŋ] n [leather] → tannage m
n. bronceamiento de la piel por medio de rayos ultravioleta.