legend(redirected from Legends)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
a. An unverified story handed down from earlier times, especially one popularly believed to be historical.
b. A body or collection of such stories.
c. See urban legend.
2. One that inspires legends or achieves legendary fame: She is a legend in her own time.
a. An inscription or title on an object, such as a coin.
b. An explanatory caption accompanying an illustration.
c. An explanatory table or list of the symbols appearing on a map or chart.
1. a popular story handed down from earlier times whose truth has not been ascertained
2. a group of such stories: the Arthurian legend.
3. a modern story that has taken on the characteristics of a traditional legendary tale
4. a person whose fame or notoriety makes him or her a source of exaggerated or romanticized tales or exploits
5. an inscription or title, as on a coin or beneath a coat of arms
6. explanatory matter accompanying a table, map, chart, etc
7. (Ecclesiastical Terms)
a. a story of the life of a saint
b. a collection of such stories
[C14 (in the sense: a saint's life or a collection of saints' lives): from Medieval Latin legenda passages to be read, from Latin legere to read]
1. a nonhistorical or unverifiable story handed down by tradition from earlier times and popularly accepted as historical.
2. the body of stories of this kind, esp. as they relate to a particular people, group, or clan.
3. an inscription, esp. on a coat of arms, a monument, a picture, or the like.
4. a table on a map, chart, or the like, listing and explaining the symbols used.
5. the lettering running around the field of a coin, medal, etc.
6. a collection of stories about an admirable person.
7. a person who is the center of such stories: to become a legend in one's own lifetime.
8. Archaic. a story of the life of a saint.
9. Obs. a collection of such stories or stories like them.
[1300–50; Middle English legende account of a saint's life < Medieval Latin legenda literally, (lesson) to be read; so called because appointed to be read on respective saints' days]
syn: legend, myth, fable refer to stories handed down from earlier times, often by word of mouth. A legend is a story associated with a people or a nation; it is usu. concerned with a real person, place, or event and is popularly believed to have some basis in fact: the legend of King Arthur. A myth is one of a class of purportedly historical stories that attempt to explain some belief, practice, or natural phenomenon; the characters are usu. gods or heroes: the Greek myth about Demeter. A fable is a fictitious story intended to teach a moral lesson; the characters are usu. animals: the fable about the fox and the grapes.
An explanation of symbols used on a map, chart, sketch, etc., commonly printed in tabular form at the side of the map, etc.
An unverifiable story handed down from earlier times, or a modern story that presents similar characteristics; used in medieval times when telling the life story of a saint.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||legend - a story about mythical or supernatural beings or events|
King Arthur's Round Table, Round Table - (legend) the circular table for King Arthur and his knights
story - a piece of fiction that narrates a chain of related events; "he writes stories for the magazines"
Arthurian legend - the legend of King Arthur and his court at Camelot
hagiology - literature narrating the lives (and legends) of the saints
Midas - (Greek legend) the greedy king of Phrygia who Dionysus gave the power to turn everything he touched into gold
Sisyphus - (Greek legend) a king in ancient Greece who offended Zeus and whose punishment was to roll a huge boulder to the top of a steep hill; each time the boulder neared the top it rolled back down and Sisyphus was forced to start again
Tristan, Tristram - (Middle Ages) the nephew of the king of Cornwall who (according to legend) fell in love with his uncle's bride (Iseult) after they mistakenly drank a love potion that left them eternally in love with each other
|2.||legend - brief description accompanying an illustration|
title - a general or descriptive heading for a section of a written work; "the novel had chapter titles"
illustration - artwork that helps make something clear or attractive
1. myth, story, tale, fiction, narrative, saga, fable, folk tale, urban myth, urban legend, folk story the legends of ancient Greece
2. celebrity, star, phenomenon, genius, spectacle, wonder, big name, marvel, prodigy, luminary, celeb (informal), megastar (informal) the blues legend, B.B. King
legend[ˈlɛdʒ/ənd] n → leggenda
a myth or traditional story, handed down from one generation to another. the legend of St George. legende اُسْطورَه легенда lenda legenda die Sage legende; sagn θρύλοςleyenda legend افسانه legenda légendeאגדה दंत कथा, ख्याति प्राप्त व्यक्ति, आलेख legenda legenda hikayat þjóðsaga leggenda 伝説 전설, 구전 legenda leģenda legenda legendelegende, sagnlegenda قصه،افسانه lenda legendă легенда legenda legenda legenda legend, folksaga ตำนาน efsane, destan 傳說，傳奇 легенда روایتی قصہ از قسم اساطیر huyền thoại 传说，传奇ˈlegendary adjective
1. mentioned etc in legend. legendary heroes. legendaries اُسْطوري، خُرافي легендарен lendário legendární Sagen-... legendarisk θρυλικόςlegendario legendaarne افسانه ای legendaarinen légendaire אַגָדִי पौराणिक, कल्पित legendaran mesebeli legendaris þjóðsagna- leggendario 言い伝えの 전설적인 legendinis leģendārs; teiksmains legenda legendarischlegendarisk, legende-legendarny افسانوى،مشهور lendário legendar легендарный legendárny legendaren legendarni legendarisk ในตำนาน efsanevî 傳說中的 легендарний مشہور قصص یا اساطیر سے متعلق thuộc huyền thoại 传说中的
2. very famous because very great, good etc. His generosity is legendary. legendaries أُسْطوري، عَظيم легендарен lendário legendární sagenhaft legendarisk θρυλικός, μνημειώδηςlegendario legendaarne مشهور tarunomainen légendaireאגדה प्रसिद्ध čuven legendás termashur þjóðsögulegur leggendario 伝説に残るような 유명한 plačiai žinomas leģendārs terkenal legendarischlegendarisklegendarny مشهور lendário legendar легендарный legendárny legendaren čuven legendarisk เป็นตำนาน çok ünlü, meşhur 著名的 легендарний غیر معمولی nổi tiếng 著名的