Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Leghorn: White leghorn
a. The dried and bleached straw of an Italian variety of wheat.
b. A braided fabric made from this straw.
c. A hat made from this fabric.
2. often Leghorn Any of a breed of small, hardy domestic chickens of Mediterranean origin, noted for prolific production of eggs.
1. (Plants) a type of Italian wheat straw that is woven into hats
2. (Clothing & Fashion) any hat made from this straw when plaited
[C19: named after Leghorn (Livorno)]
1. (Placename) the English name for Livorno
2. (Breeds) a breed of domestic fowl laying white eggs
Leg•horn(ˈlɛgˌhɔrn for 1–3; -ərn, -ˌhɔrn for 4 )
1. English name of Livorno.
2. (l.c.) a fine, smooth, plaited straw.
3. (l.c.) a hat made of such straw, often having a broad, soft brim.
4. one of a breed of chickens that are prolific layers of white-shelled eggs.
1. A breed of chicken.
2. A hat made of straw from an Italian wheat. Such hats were generally for women and were wide-brimmed and flat-topped. The name came from Leghorn, Italy.