Levi(redirected from Levi, Primo)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
In the Bible, a son of Jacob and Leah and the forebear of one of the tribes of Israel.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Bible) Old Testament
a. the third son of Jacob and Leah and the ancestor of the tribe of Levi (Genesis 29:34)
b. the priestly tribe descended from this patriarch (Numbers 18:21–24)
2. (Bible) New Testament another name for Matthew the apostle
1. (Biography) Carlo. 1902–75, Italian physician, painter, and writer. Best known for his novel Christ Stopped at Eboli (1947), his other works include The Watch (1952) and Words are Stones (1958)
2. (Biography) Primo (ˈpriːməʊ). 1919–87, Italian novelist. His book If This is a Man (1947) relates his experiences in Auschwitz. Other books include The Periodic Table (1956) and The Drowned and the Saved (1988), published after his suicide
Levi(ˈliːvaɪ; Hebrew ˈlevi) or
(Judaism) Judaism a descendant of the tribe of Levi who has certain privileges in the synagogue service
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Le•vi(ˈli vaɪ, ˈleɪ vi)
1. a son of Jacob and Leah. Gen. 29:34.
2. one of the 12 tribes of Israel, traditionally descended from him.
3. original name of Matthew (def. 1).
4. a Levite.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Levi - (New Testament) disciple of Jesus; traditionally considered to be the author of the first Gospel|
New Testament - the collection of books of the Gospels, Acts of the Apostles, the Pauline and other epistles, and Revelation; composed soon after Christ's death; the second half of the Christian Bible
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.