By that time more than 180,000 Lewis guns
were in service.
He and another man moved forward their Lewis guns
and attacked an enemy machine gun, which was holding up their platoon.
The Lewis guns
were to be deployed to protect against counter-attacks and cover the withdrawal.
The rights to manufacture both infantry and aircraft Lewis guns
were sold to the Japanese Navy by the British company of Birmingham Small Arms (BSA) about 1930.
But this ship was also an unsung war hero and earned her battle honours by being the first merchantman to shoot down enemy aircraft when its Lewis guns
downed two Nazi bombers in August 1940 off Scotland.
This variant retained the twin, synchronized Marlin guns firing forward through the propeller and the twin moveable Lewis guns
on a scarff ring firing to the rear.
It was originally intended to add only two Lewis guns
In 1915, each battalion had four Lewis guns
but by 1917 each battalions had 46.
By 1917,40,000 Lewis guns
were in service with the British, French, Italian and Russian armies.
Other factories manufactured shells, fuses and rifles by the million, Lewis guns
by the thousand, artillery limbers by the hundred, monster aeroplanes, battalions of tanks, aeroplane engines, and big guns.
30 caliber Lewis Guns
the Marine Corp still had in use early in the conflict.
The company was founded in 1861 to supply arms for the Crimean war, and during the First World War produced rifles, Lewis guns
, shells and motorcycles.