licentiate(redirected from Licenciado)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
1. One who is granted a license by an authorized body to practice a specified profession.
a. A degree from certain European and Canadian universities ranking just below that of a doctor.
b. One holding such a degree.
[Middle English, from Medieval Latin licentiātus, from past participle of licentiāre, to allow, from licentia, authorization; see license.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Law) a person who has received a formal attestation of professional competence to practise a certain profession or teach a certain skill or subject
2. (Education) a degree between that of bachelor and doctor awarded now only by certain chiefly European universities
3. (Education) a person who holds this degree
4. (Christian Churches, other) chiefly Presbyterian Church a person holding a licence to preach
[C15: from Medieval Latin licentiātus, from licentiāre to permit]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
li•cen•ti•ate(laɪˈsɛn ʃi ɪt, -ˌeɪt)
1. a person who has received a license, as from a university, to practice an art or profession.
2. the holder of a university degree intermediate between that of bachelor and that of doctor, now confined chiefly to certain continental European universities.
[1350–1400; < Medieval Latin licentiātus, n. use of past participle of licentiāre to authorize. See license, -ate1]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||licentiate - holds a license (degree) from a (European) university|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n → Lizenziat(in) m(f), → Lizentiat(in) m(f); (= degree) → Lizenziat nt, → Lizentiat nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007