lily(redirected from Lilys)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. lil·ies
1. Any of various plants of the genus Lilium, having variously colored, often trumpet-shaped flowers.
2. Any of various similar or related plants, such as the daylily or the water lily.
3. The flower of any of these plants.
[Middle English lilie, from Old English, from Latin līlium.]
n, pl lilies
1. (Plants) any liliaceous perennial plant of the N temperate genus Lilium, such as the Turk's-cap lily and tiger lily, having scaly bulbs and showy typically pendulous flowers
2. (Plants) the bulb or flower of any of these plants
3. (Plants) any of various similar or related plants, such as the water lily, plantain lily, and day lily
[Old English, from Latin līlium; related to Greek leirion lily]
n., pl. lil•ies,
1. any scaly-bulbed plant of the genus Lilium, having showy, funnel- or bell-shaped flowers.
2. the flower or the bulb of such a plant.
3. any of various related or similar plants or their flowers, as the mariposa lily.
5. white as a lily: her lily hands.
6. delicately fair: a lily maiden.
7. pure; unsullied: the lily truth.
8. pale; fragile; weak.
[before 1000; Middle English, Old English lilie < Latin līlium; compare Greek leírion]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||lily - any liliaceous plant of the genus Lilium having showy pendulous flowers|
liliaceous plant - plant growing from a bulb or corm or rhizome or tuber
Canada lily, Lilium canadense, meadow lily, wild meadow lily, wild yellow lily - common lily of the eastern United States having nodding yellow or reddish flowers spotted with brown
Annunciation lily, Lent lily, Lilium candidum, Madonna lily, white lily - lily of eastern Mediterranean and the Balkans with broad funnel-shaped white flowers
Lilium catesbaei, pine lily, tiger lily, leopard lily - lily of southeastern United States having cup-shaped flowers with deep yellow to scarlet recurved petals
Columbia tiger lily, Lilium columbianum, Oregon lily - lily of western North America with showy orange-red purple-spotted flowers
devil lily, kentan, Lilium lancifolium, tiger lily - east Asian perennial having large reddish-orange black-spotted flowers with reflexed petals
Bermuda lily, Easter lily, Lilium longiflorum, white trumpet lily - tall lily have large white trumpet-shaped flowers that bloom in the spring
Lilium martagon, martagon, Turk's-cap - lily with small dull purple flowers of northwestern Europe and northwestern Asia
Lilium michiganense, Michigan lily - lily of central North America having recurved orange-red flowers with deep crimson spots
leopard lily, Lilium pardalinum, panther lily - lily of western United States having orange-red to crimson maroon-spotted flowers
Lilium philadelphicum, wood lily - lily of eastern North America having orange to orange-red purple-spotted flowers
hoa loa kèn
lily[ˈlɪlɪ] n → giglio
lily(ˈlili) – plural ˈlilies – noun
a type of tall plant grown from a bulb, with white or coloured flowers. lelie زَنْبَق، زَنْبَقَه лилия lírio lilie die Lilie lilje κρίνοςlirio, azucena liilia سوسن سفید lilja lysשושן, חבצלת कुमुदिनी ljiljan liliom bakung lilja giglio ゆりの花 백합 lelija lilija bunga lili lelieliljelilia سپين د سوسن ګل lírio crin лилия ľalia lilija ljiljan lilja ดอกลิลลี่ zambak 百合花 лілія, лілея نیلوفر hoa loa kèn 百合花