jousting(redirected from List (jousting))
joust(joust, jŭst, jo͞ost) also just (jŭst)
a. A combat between two mounted knights or men-at-arms using lances; a tilting match.
b. jousts A series of tilting matches; a tournament.
2. A personal competition or combat suggestive of combat with lances: a politician who relishes a joust with reporters.
intr.v. joust·ed, joust·ing, jousts also just·ed or just·ing or justs
1. To engage in mounted combat with lances; tilt.
2. To engage in a personal combat or competition.
[Middle English, from Old French juste, from juster, to joust, from Vulgar Latin *iūxtāre, to be next to, from Latin iūxtā, close by; see yeug- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Historical Terms) history
a. the action or sport of fighting on horseback using a lance
b. (as modifier): medieval jousting tournaments.
2. (Historical Terms) (as modifier): medieval jousting tournaments.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014