zodiac(redirected from List of astrological signs)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
a. Astronomy A band of the celestial sphere extending about 8° to either side of the ecliptic that represents the path of the principal planets, the moon, and the sun.
b. In astrology, this band divided into 12 equal parts called signs, each 30° wide, bearing the name of a constellation for which it was originally named but with which it no longer coincides owing to the precession of the equinoxes.
c. A diagram or figure representing the zodiac.
2. A complete circuit; a circle.
[Middle English, from Old French zodiaque, from Latin zōdiacus, from Greek zōidiakos (kuklos), (circle) of the zodiac, from zōidion, small represented figure, zodiacal sign, diminutive of zōion, living being; see zoon.]
zo·di′a·cal (-dī′ə-kəl) adj.
1. (Astrology) an imaginary belt extending 8° either side of the ecliptic, which contains the 12 zodiacal constellations and within which the moon and planets appear to move. It is divided into 12 equal areas, called signs of the zodiac, each named after the constellation which once lay in it. See zodiacal constellation
2. (Astrology) astrology a diagram, usually circular, representing this belt and showing the symbols, illustrations, etc, associated with each of the 12 signs of the zodiac, used to predict the future
3. rare a complete circuit; circle
[C14: from Old French zodiaque, from Latin zōdiacus, from Greek zōidiakos (kuklos) (circle) of signs, from zōidion animal sign, carved figure, from zōion animal]
1. an imaginary belt extending about 8° on each side of the ecliptic and containing the paths of the sun, moon, and principal planets through 12 constellations or signs.
2. a diagram representing this and often containing the symbol for each sign of the zodiac.
3. a circuit or round.
[1350–1400; Middle English zodiaque < Latin zōdiacus < Greek zōidiakòs(kýklos) signal (circle) <zṓidi(on) animal sign (zô(ion) animal]
zo•di•a•cal (zoʊˈdaɪ ə kəl) adj.
A band of the celestial sphere that extends about eight degrees both north and south of the ecliptic. It represents the path of the planets, the sun, and the moon.
Zodiaca recurrent series; a round; a set of twelve.
Examples: zodiac of the twelve apostles, 1631; of my expectations, 1609; of fcasts, 1856; of life, 1560; of learned lives, 1742; of wit, 1586.
1. An imaginary band, viewed as if from the centre of the solar system, and divided into twelve segments of 30 degrees. Each segment is named after a nearby constellation of stars.
2. A zone divided into 12 constellations along the ecliptic.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||zodiac - a belt-shaped region in the heavens on either side to the ecliptic; divided into 12 constellations or signs for astrological purposes|
celestial sphere, empyrean, firmament, heavens, vault of heaven, welkin, sphere - the apparent surface of the imaginary sphere on which celestial bodies appear to be projected
region, part - the extended spatial location of something; "the farming regions of France"; "religions in all parts of the world"; "regions of outer space"
exaltation - the location of a planet in the zodiac at which it is believed to exert its maximum influence
mansion, planetary house, sign of the zodiac, star sign, sign, house - (astrology) one of 12 equal areas into which the zodiac is divided
Aquarius - a zodiacal constellation in the southern hemisphere; between Capricornus and Pisces
Aries - a small zodiacal constellation in the northern hemisphere; between Pisces and Taurus
Cancer - a small zodiacal constellation in the northern hemisphere; between Leo and Gemini
Capricornus, Capricorn - a faint zodiacal constellation in the southern hemisphere; between Sagittarius and Aquarius
Gemini - a zodiacal constellation in the northern hemisphere between Taurus and Cancer on the ecliptic
Leo - a zodiacal constellation in northern hemisphere between Cancer and Virgo
Libra - a small faint zodiacal constellation in the southern hemisphere; between Virgo and Scorpius
Pisces - a large faint zodiacal constellation; between Aquarius and Aries
Sagittarius - a large zodiacal constellation in the southern hemisphere; between Scorpius and Capricornus
Taurus - a zodiacal constellation in the northern hemisphere near Orion; between Aries and Gemini
Virgo - a large zodiacal constellation on the equator; between Leo and Libra
|2.||zodiac - (astrology) a circular diagram representing the 12 zodiacal constellations and showing their signs|
diagram - a drawing intended to explain how something works; a drawing showing the relation between the parts
Signs of the ZodiacAquarius (the Water Carrier), Aries (the Ram), Cancer (the Crab), Capricorn (the Goat), Gemini (the Twins), Leo (the Lion), Libra (the Scales), Pisces (the Fishes), Sagittarius (the Archer), Scorpio (the Scorpion), Taurus (the Bull), Virgo (the Virgin)
Chinese animal years