Holy Grail(redirected from List of holy grails)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. (European Myth & Legend) Also called: Grail or Sangraal (in medieval legend) the bowl used by Jesus at the Last Supper. It was allegedly brought to Britain by Joseph of Arimathea, where it became the quest of many knights
2. (Alternative Belief Systems) (in modern spirituality) a symbol of the spiritual wholeness that leads a person to union with the divine
3. informal any desired ambition or goal: the Holy Grail of infrared astronomy.
[C14 grail from Old French graal, from Medieval Latin gradālis bowl, of unknown origin]
1. (usu. cap.) a cup or chalice that in medieval legend was associated with unusual powers and was much sought after by knights: identified with the cup used at the Last Supper and given to Joseph of Arimathea.
2. (sometimes cap.) any greatly desired and sought-after objective.Also called Holy Grail.
[1300–50; < Anglo-French grahel, Old French gräel, grel < Medieval Latin gradālis platter, of uncertain orig.]