portmanteau(redirected from List of portmanteaus/Archive hub)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
n. pl. port·man·teaus or port·man·teaux (-tōz, -tōz′)
1. A large leather suitcase that opens into two hinged compartments.
a. A word formed by merging the sounds and meanings of two different words, as chortle, from chuckle and snort. Also called portmanteau word.
b. A word or part of a word that is analyzable as consisting of more than one morpheme without a clear boundary between them, as French du "of the" from de "of" and le "the." Also called portmanteau morph.
General or generalized: a portmanteau description; portmanteau terms.
[French portemanteau : porte-, from porter, to carry (from Old French; see port5) + manteau, cloak (from Old French mantel, from Latin mantellum). N., senses 2a and b, in reference to Lewis Carroll's Through the Looking-Glass, in which Humpty Dumpty explains slithy and other made-up words in the poem "Jabberwocky" to Alice as follows: "Slithy" means "lithe and slimy" ... You see it's like a portmanteau—there are two meanings packed up into one word.]
n, pl -teaus or -teaux (-təʊz)
1. (formerly) a large travelling case made of stiff leather, esp one hinged at the back so as to open out into two compartments
2. (modifier) embodying several uses or qualities: the heroine is a portmanteau figure of all the virtues. Also called: portmantle
[C16: from French: cloak carrier, from porter to carry + manteau cloak, mantle]
port•man•teau(pɔrtˈmæn toʊ, poʊrt-; ˌpɔrt mænˈtoʊ, ˌpoʊrt-)
n., pl. -teaus, -teaux (-toʊz, -toʊ; -ˈtoʊz, -ˈtoʊ)
1. Chiefly Brit. a case or bag to carry clothing in while traveling, esp. a leather trunk or suitcase that opens into two halves.adj.
2. combining or blending several items, features, or qualities: a portmanteau show.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||portmanteau - a new word formed by joining two others and combining their meanings; "`smog' is a blend of `smoke' and `fog'"; "`motel' is a portmanteau word made by combining `motor' and `hotel'"; "`brunch' is a well-known portmanteau"|
motel - a motor hotel
brunch - combination breakfast and lunch; usually served in late morning
shopaholic - a compulsive shopper; "shopaholics can never resist a bargain"
workaholic - person with a compulsive need to work
dandle - move (a baby) up and down in one's arms or on one's knees
|2.||portmanteau - a large travelling bag made of stiff leather|
n pl <-s or -x> → Handkoffer m