sutra(redirected from List of suttas)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. Hinduism Any of various aphoristic doctrinal summaries produced for memorization generally between 500 and 200 bc and later incorporated into Hindu literature.
2. also sut·ta (so͝ot′ə) Buddhism A scriptural narrative, especially a text traditionally regarded as a discourse of the Buddha.
1. (Hinduism) Hinduism Sanskrit sayings or collections of sayings on Vedic doctrine dating from about 200 ad onwards
2. (Hinduism) (modifier) Hinduism
a. of or relating to the last of the Vedic literary periods, from about 500 to 100 bc: the sutra period.
b. of or relating to the sutras or compilations of sutras of about 200 ad onwards
3. (Buddhism) Buddhism collections of dialogues and discourses of classic Mahayana Buddhism dating from the 2nd to the 6th centuries ad
[C19: from Sanskrit: list of rules]
n., pl. -tras.
1. a collection of Hindu aphorisms relating to some aspect of the conduct of life.
2. Pali, sut•ta (ˈsʊt ə) any of the sermons of Buddha.
[1795–1805; < Skt sūtra]
The Buddha’s words or a guru’s commentary on the Buddha’s words.