flagellum(redirected from Lophotrichous)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. fla·gel·la (-jĕl′ə)
1. A long, whiplike appendage that functions as a cellular organ of locomotion, found in certain bacteria, protozoans, and specialized eukaryotic cells such as motile sperm.
2. A small whip; a scourge.
[Latin, diminutive of flagrum, whip.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -la (-lə) or -lums
1. (Biology) biology a long whiplike outgrowth from a cell that acts as an organ of locomotion: occurs in some protozoans, gametes, spores, etc
2. (Botany) botany a long thin supple shoot or runner
3. (Zoology) zoology the terminal whiplike part of an arthropod's appendage, esp of the antenna of many insects
[C19: from Latin: a little whip, from flagrum a whip, lash]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -gel•la (-ˈdʒɛl ə)
1. Biol. a long lashlike appendage serving as an organ of locomotion in protozoa, sperm cells, etc.
2. Bot. a runner.
3. the upper portion of the antenna of an insect.
4. a whip or lash.
[1800–10; < Latin: whip]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A slender tail or part extending from some single-celled organisms, such as the dinoflagellates, that whips back and forth to produce movement.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
A whiplike organelle of locomotion in sperm cells and some unicellular organisms.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||flagellum - a whip used to inflict punishment (often used for pedantic humor)|
whip - an instrument with a handle and a flexible lash that is used for whipping
|2.||flagellum - a lash-like appendage used for locomotion (e.g., in sperm cells and some bacteria and protozoa)|
eubacteria, eubacterium, true bacteria - a large group of bacteria having rigid cell walls; motile types have flagella
sperm, sperm cell, spermatozoan, spermatozoon - the male reproductive cell; the male gamete; "a sperm is mostly a nucleus surrounded by little other cellular material"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.