lieutenant governor(redirected from Lt. Governor)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Lt. Governor: State governor
n. Abbr. Lt. Gov.
1. An elected official ranking just below the governor of a state in the United States.
2. The nonelective chief of government of a Canadian province.
lieutenant governorship n.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a deputy governor
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (in the US) an elected official who acts as deputy to a state governor and succeeds him or her if he or she dies
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) : lieutenant-governor (in Canada) the representative of the Crown in a province: appointed by the federal government acting for the Crown
1. an official next in rank to the governor of a state.
2. (caps.) the chief executive of a Canadian province, appointed by the Governor General.
lieuten′ant gov′ernorship, n.