Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Of or relating to the religious doctrines of Martin Luther, especially the doctrine of justification by faith alone.
2. Of or relating to the Protestant denomination adhering to these doctrines.
A member of the Lutheran Church.
Lu′ther·an·ism, Lu′ther·ism n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Protestantism) a follower of Martin Luther or a member of a Lutheran Church
1. (Protestantism) of or relating to Luther or his doctrines, the most important being justification by faith alone, consubstantiation, and the authority of the Bible
2. (Protestantism) of or denoting any Protestant Church that follows Luther's doctrines
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Lu•ther•an(ˈlu θər ən)
1. of or pertaining to Luther, adhering to his doctrines, or belonging to one of the Protestant churches that bear his name.n.
2. a follower of Luther or an adherent of his doctrines; a member of the Lutheran Church.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Lutheran - follower of Lutheranism |
Lutheran Church - the Protestant denomination adhering to the views of Martin Luther
|Adj.||1.||Lutheran - of or pertaining to Martin Luther or his teachings; "the Lutheran doctrine of justification by faith alone"|
|2.||Lutheran - of or pertaining to or characteristic of the branch of the Protestant Church adhering to the views of Luther; "Lutheran doctrines"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
A. ADJ → luterano
B. N → luterano/a m/f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Lutheran[ˈluːθ/ər/ən] adj & n → luterano/a
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995