Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Of or relating to the religious doctrines of Martin Luther, especially the doctrine of justification by faith alone.
2. Of or relating to the Protestant denomination adhering to these doctrines.
A member of the Lutheran Church.
Lu′ther·an·ism, Lu′ther·ism n.
(Protestantism) a follower of Martin Luther or a member of a Lutheran Church
1. (Protestantism) of or relating to Luther or his doctrines, the most important being justification by faith alone, consubstantiation, and the authority of the Bible
2. (Protestantism) of or denoting any Protestant Church that follows Luther's doctrines
Lu•ther•an(ˈlu θər ən)
1. of or pertaining to Luther, adhering to his doctrines, or belonging to one of the Protestant churches that bear his name.n.
2. a follower of Luther or an adherent of his doctrines; a member of the Lutheran Church.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Lutheran - follower of Lutheranism |
Lutheran Church - the Protestant denomination adhering to the views of Martin Luther
|Adj.||1.||Lutheran - of or pertaining to Martin Luther or his teachings; "the Lutheran doctrine of justification by faith alone"|
|2.||Lutheran - of or pertaining to or characteristic of the branch of the Protestant Church adhering to the views of Luther; "Lutheran doctrines"|