Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Lux·em·bourgor Lux·em·burg (lŭk′səm-bûrg′)
1. A country of northwest Europe bordering on Belgium, Germany, and France. Created as a duchy in 1354, it was ruled successively by Burgundy, Spain, Austria, and France between 1443 and 1797, and it was made a grand duchy of the Netherlands by the Congress of Vienna (1814-1815). In 1839 the greater part of it passed to Belgium. The remainder became autonomous in 1848 and was declared a neutral and independent territory in 1867. Luxembourg is the capital.
2. also Luxembourg City The capital of Luxembourg, in the southern part of the country. It developed around a heavily fortified tenth-century castle.
Lux′em·bourg′er, Lux′em·burg′er n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Luxembourg(ˈlʌksəmˌbɜːɡ; French lyksɑ̃bur)
1. (Placename) a grand duchy in W Europe: it formed the Benelux customs union with the Belgium and the Netherlands in 1948 and was a founder member of the Common Market, now the European Union. Languages: French, German, and Luxemburgish. Religion: Roman Catholic majority. Currency: euro. Capital: Luxembourg. Pop: 514 862 (2013 est). Area: 2586 sq km (999 sq miles)
2. (Placename) the capital of Luxembourg, on the Alzette River: an industrial centre. Pop: 77 300 (2003 est)
3. (Placename) a province in SE Belgium, in the Ardennes. Capital: Arlon. Pop: 254 120 (2004 est). Area: 4416 sq km (1705 sq miles)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a grand duchy surrounded by Germany, France, and Belgium. 429,080; 999 sq. mi. (2585 sq. km).
2. the capital of this grand duchy. 76,640.
3. a province in SE Belgium: formerly a part of the grand duchy of Luxembourg. 234,664; 1706 sq. mi. (4420 sq. km).Also, Luxemburg (for defs. 1,2).
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Luxembourg - the capital and largest city of Luxembourg|
|2.||Luxembourg - a grand duchy (a constitutional monarchy) landlocked in northwestern Europe between France and Belgium and Germany; an international financial center|
Common Market, EC, EEC, European Community, European Economic Community, European Union, EU, Europe - an international organization of European countries formed after World War II to reduce trade barriers and increase cooperation among its members; "he tried to take Britain into the Europen Union"
NATO, North Atlantic Treaty Organization - an international organization created in 1949 by the North Atlantic Treaty for purposes of collective security
Benelux - a customs union comprising Belgium and Netherlands and Luxembourg
capital of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, Luxembourg City, Luxembourg-Ville, Luxemburg - the capital and largest city of Luxembourg
Europe - the 2nd smallest continent (actually a vast peninsula of Eurasia); the British use `Europe' to refer to all of the continent except the British Isles
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Luxembourg[ˈlʌksəmbɜːg] N → Luxemburgo m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Luxembourg[ˈlʌksəmbɜːrg] n → le Luxembourg m
in Luxembourg → au Luxembourg
to Luxembourg → au Luxembourg
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
Luxembourg→ لُكْسِمْبُورْغ Lucembursko Luxemburg Luxemburg Λουξεμβούργο Luxemburgo Luxemburg Luxembourg Luksemburg Lussemburgo ルクセンブルク 룩셈부르크 Luxemburg Luxembourg Luksemburg Luxemburgo Люксембург Luxemburg ประเทศลักเซมเบิร์ก Lüksemburg nước Luxembourg 卢森堡
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009