lucerne(redirected from Luzern (Stadt))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
A city of central Switzerland on the northern shore of Lake Lucerne, an irregularly shaped lake surrounded by mountains. The city developed around a monastery founded in the eighth century.
n. Chiefly British
[French luzerne, from Provençal luzerno, glowworm (perhaps from its shiny seeds), from Latin lucerna, lamp, from lūcēre, to shine; see lucid.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Plants) Brit another name for alfalfa
Lucerne(luːˈsɜːn; French lysɛrn)
nGerman name (for senses 1 and 2): Luzern
1. (Placename) a canton in central Switzerland, northwest of Lake Lucerne: joined the Swiss Confederacy in 1332. Pop: 352 300 (2002 est). Area: 1494 sq km (577 sq miles)
2. (Placename) a city in central Switzerland, capital of Lucerne canton, on Lake Lucerne: tourist centre. Pop: 59 496 (2000)
3. (Placename) Lake Lucerne a lake in central Switzerland: fed and drained chiefly by the River Reuss. Area: 115 sq km (44 sq miles). German name: Vierwaldstättersee
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
[1620–30; < French luzerne < Occitan luzerno literally, glowworm]
1. a canton in central Switzerland. 340,536; 576 sq. mi. (1490 sq. km).
2. the capital of this canton, on Lake of Lucerne. 60,600.
3. Lake of, a lake in central Switzerland. 24 mi. (39 km) long; 44 sq. mi. (114 sq. km). German, Luzern.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||lucerne - important European leguminous forage plant with trifoliate leaves and blue-violet flowers grown widely as a pasture and hay crop|
alfalfa - leguminous plant grown for hay or forage
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
lucerne[luːˈsɜːn] N (esp Brit) → alfalfa f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
lucerne[luːˈsɜːn] n → erba medica
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995