References in periodicals archive ?
The weapons, often referred to as MANPADS or 'Man Portable Air Defence Systems', are favoured by militant groups because they are light and portable, relatively simple to use and can in theory bring down a civilian airliner.
The final operational tests to counter man-portable air defense systems, or manpads, marks the possible end of a six-year, $270 million effort to determine whether there was any "near-term" solution to protect aircraft from being shot out of the sky by these missiles.
Appendix C MANPAD Attacks against Large Civilian Turbojet Aircraft (1978-Present) Adapted from Christopher Bolkom and Bartholomew Elias, Homeland Security: Protecting Airliners from Terrorist Missiles (Washington, DC: Congressional Research Service, Library of Congress, 16 February 2006), 9.
The Russian Defense Ministry stated that more than 30 militant had been killed as a result of the Russian forces' high precision strike in the area from where the MANPAD projectile had been launched.
By defining the approximate location of the terrorist that is near the perimeter of the airport and describing the focus of the range of the specific MANPAD intelligence, a patrol on foot or vehicle could be deployed to establish a 'clean zone' by scouring the area in question, supported by other authorities.
The experiences gained from the Falklands conflict and the war in Afghanistan, added to the lessons from countless military exercises, have shown that the use of portable guided missile systems, commonly known as MANPADS (Man-Portable Air Defence Systems), and their platform-mounted versions, offers an economic means of dealing with the above sort of threats.
Some opposition activists have claimed that the Turkish military was heading to Idlib with Man-Portable Air-Defense System (MANPADS), if true, would mean that they are preparing to down any Syrian warplane flying over their positions.
MANPADS, tens of RPG rounds, an electric machinegun and STEYR sniper were among the handed weapons, according to the correspondent, in addition to large amounts of ammunition and shells, including T-tanks shells, Katyusha, RPG and artillery.
His presentation will explore topics such as MANPADS Vs.
The first section of this supplement, entitled Danger on the Edge of Town, examines the threat posed by mediumrange/medium-altitude and long-range/ high-altitude Surface-to-Air Missile (SAM) systems, and shorter-range ManPortable Air Defence Systems (MANPADS).
Media affiliated with the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), a leftist militant group battling the Turkish state, posted a video purporting to show a fighter downing a Cobra attack helicopter with a man-portable air-defense system -- or MANPADS -- in the mountains of southeastern Turkey on Friday morning.
Dictionary browser ?
- Man-of-the earth
- man-of-war bird
- Man-of-war hawk
- Man-of-war's man
- manor hall
- manor house
- man-o'-war bird
- manpower management
- manpower management survey
- manpower planning
- manpower requirements
- manpower resources
- manpower scaling guide
- Manpower Services Commission
- man's body
- man's clothing
- mansard roof
Full browser ?
- Manotick Brass Ensemble
- Manotick Intermediate Hockey League
- Manouvrier, Leonce Pierre
- Manouvrier, Léonce Pierre
- Manowar (wargame)
- Manpack Radio Direction Finding System
- Manpack Receive Terminal
- Manpack Secondary Imagery Dissemination System
- Manpack UHF Terminal
- Manpack Unit
- MANPER Interface File
- Manportable Radio Direction-Finding System
- Manportable Surveillance and Target Acquisition Radar
- Manportable Target Locator Device
- Manportable Weather Support System
- Manpower & Equipment Force Packaging
- Manpower & Force Management Course
- Manpower & Management Services Division
- Manpower & Organization Flight
- Manpower & Personnel
- Manpower & Personnel Integration
- Manpower & Personnel Management Information System
- Manpower & Personnel Module
- Manpower & Personnel Module - Base
- Manpower & Personnel Module - MAJCOM
- Manpower & Personnel Readiness Center
- Manpower & Personnel Research & Development
- Manpower & Reserve Affairs