mapper(redirected from MAPPER (Software))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
a. A representation, usually on a plane surface, of a region of the earth or heavens.
b. Something that suggests such a representation, as in clarity of representation.
2. Mathematics The correspondence of elements in one set to elements in the same set or another set.
3. Slang The human face.
4. Genetics A genetic map.
tr.v. mapped, map·ping, mapsIdioms:
a. To make a map of.
b. To depict as if on a map: Grief was mapped on his face.
2. To explore or make a survey of (a region) for the purpose of making a map.
3. To plan or delineate, especially in detail; arrange: mapping out her future.
4. Genetics To locate (a gene or DNA sequence) in a specific region of a chromosome in relation to known genes or DNA sequences.
5. Mathematics To establish a mapping of (an element or a set).
all over the map
1. In, from, or to a variety of places; ubiquitously.
2. Showing great variety; varied or diverse: "Literary nonfiction is all over the map and has been for three hundred years" (William Zinsser).
put on the map
To make well-known, prominent, or famous.
wipe off the map
To destroy completely; annihilate.
[From Middle English mapemounde, from Old French mapemond, from Medieval Latin mappa (mundī), map (of the world), from Latin, napkin, cloth (on which maps were drawn), perhaps of Punic origin; see npy in Semitic roots.]
modified American plan