tamarind(redirected from Ma-kham)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A tropical evergreen tree (Tamarindus indica) of the pea family, native to Africa and widely cultivated as an ornamental and for its pods, which contain small seeds embedded in a sticky edible pulp.
a. The fruit of this tree.
b. Syrup prepared from the pulp of this fruit.
[Middle English tamarinde, ultimately (via Medieval Latin tamarindus and Old French tamarinde) from Arabic tamr hindī, tamarind (literally, "Indian dates," tamarind being so called because medieval Arabian merchants imported it from India) : tamr, dates; see tmr in Semitic roots + hindī, of India (from Hind, India, from Persian; see Hindi).]
1. (Plants) a leguminous tropical evergreen tree, Tamarindus indica, having pale yellow red-streaked flowers and brown pulpy pods, each surrounded by a brittle shell
2. (Plants) the acid fruit of this tree, used as a food and to make beverages and medicines
3. (Forestry) the wood of this tree
[C16: from Medieval Latin tamarindus, ultimately from Arabic tamr hindī Indian date, from tamr date + hindī Indian, from Hind India]
tam•a•rind(ˈtæm ə rɪnd)
1. the pod of a large tropical tree, Tamarindus indica, of the legume family, containing seeds in a juicy acid pulp used in beverages and food.
2. the tree itself.
[1525–35; < Medieval Latin tamarindus « Arabic tamr hindī literally, Indian date]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tamarind - long-lived tropical evergreen tree with a spreading crown and feathery evergreen foliage and fragrant flowers yielding hard yellowish wood and long pods with edible chocolate-colored acidic pulp|
tamarind, tamarindo - large tropical seed pod with very tangy pulp that is eaten fresh or cooked with rice and fish or preserved for curries and chutneys
bean tree - any of several trees having seedpods as fruits
|2.||tamarind - large tropical seed pod with very tangy pulp that is eaten fresh or cooked with rice and fish or preserved for curries and chutneys|
edible fruit - edible reproductive body of a seed plant especially one having sweet flesh
شَجرَة تَمْر هِنْدي
tamarind[ˈtæmərɪnd] N → tamarindo m
tamarind[ˈtæmərɪnd] n → tamarin m
n (= tree, fruit) → Tamarinde f
tamarind[ˈtæmərɪnd] n → tamarindo
a tropical fruit, a brown pod with a juicy, spicy pulp used in medicines, drinks etc. suurdadel شَجرَة تَمْر هِنْدي вид тропическо дърво tamarindo tamarind die Tamarinde tamarinde είδος τροπικού φρούτου tamarindo tamarind تمرهندی tamarindi tamarin תָמָר הוֹדִי इमली tamarinda tamarindusfa gyümölcse asam tamarind tamarindo タマリンド (열대 과일) 타마린드 tamarindas tamarinds asam jawa tamarindevruchttamarind !!tamarynda tamarindo tamarin индийский финик tamarind tamarinda tamarin tamarind ต้นมะขาม demirhindi 羅望子果 тамаринд تمر ہند، املي cây me 罗望子果