Macedonian(redirected from Macedonians)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Macedonians: Macedonian people
Of or relating to ancient or modern Macedonia or its peoples, languages, or cultures.
1. A native or inhabitant of ancient or modern Macedonia.
2. The language of ancient Macedonia, of uncertain affiliation within Indo-European.
3. The Slavic language of modern Macedonia, closely related to Bulgarian.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Peoples) of or relating to Macedonia, its inhabitants, or any of their languages or dialects
2. (Placename) of or relating to Macedonia, its inhabitants, or any of their languages or dialects
3. (Languages) of or relating to Macedonia, its inhabitants, or any of their languages or dialects
4. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of Macedonia
5. (Languages) the language of the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, belonging to the south Slavonic branch of the Indo-European family
6. (Historical Terms) an extinct language spoken in ancient Macedonia
7. (Languages) an extinct language spoken in ancient Macedonia
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Mac•e•do•ni•an(ˌmæs ɪˈdoʊ ni ən)
1. a native or inhabitant of Macedonia.
2. a South Slavic language spoken in modern Macedonia.
3. the sparsely attested language of ancient Macedonia, variously regarded as a dialect of Greek or a distinct Indo-European language.adj.
4. of or pertaining to Macedonia, its inhabitants, or their language.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Macedonian - a native or inhabitant of Macedon |
Macedon, Makedonija, Macedonia - the ancient kingdom of Philip II and Alexander the Great in the southeastern Balkans that is now divided among modern Macedonia and Greece and Bulgaria
European - a native or inhabitant of Europe
Philippian - a native or inhabitant of Philippi in ancient Macedonia
|2.||Macedonian - the Slavic language of modern Macedonia|
|Adj.||1.||Macedonian - of or relating to Macedonia or its inhabitants; "Macedonian hills"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
A. ADJ → macedonio/a m/f
1. (= person) → macedonio/a m/f
2. (Ling) → macedonio m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
adj → macédonien(ne)
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995