Mackenzie(redirected from Mackenzie, William Lyon)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Mackenzie, William Lyon: William Lyon Mackenzie King
Mac·ken·zie(mə-kĕn′zē), Alexander 1822-1892.
Scottish-born Canadian politician who was the first Liberal prime minister of Canada (1873-1878). He established the Supreme Court of Canada and reformed the electoral system.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Placename) a river in NW Canada, in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut, flowing northwest from Great Slave Lake to the Beaufort Sea: the longest river in Canada; navigable in summer. Length: 1770 km (1100 miles)
1. (Biography) Sir Alexander. ?1755–1820, Scottish explorer and fur trader in Canada. He explored the Mackenzie River (1789) and was the first European to cross America north of Mexico (1793)
2. (Biography) Alexander. 1822–92, Canadian statesman; first Liberal prime minister (1873–78)
3. (Biography) Sir Compton. 1883–1972, English author. His works include Sinister Street (1913–14) and the comic novel Whisky Galore (1947)
4. (Biography) Sir Thomas. 1854–1930, New Zealand statesman born in Scotland: prime minister of New Zealand (1912)
5. (Biography) William Lyon. 1795–1861, Canadian journalist and politician, born in Scotland. He led an unsuccessful rebellion against the oligarchic Family Compact (1837)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a river in NW Canada, flowing NW from the Great Slave Lake to the Arctic Ocean. 1120 mi. (1800 km) long; with tributaries, 2525 mi. (4065 km) long.
2. a district in the SW Northwest Territories of Canada. 527,490 sq. mi. (1,366,200 sq. km).
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Mackenzie - Canadian explorer (born in England) who explored the Mackenzie River and who was first to cross North America by land north of Mexico (1764-1820)|
|2.||Mackenzie - a Canadian river; flows into the Beaufort Sea|
Canada - a nation in northern North America; the French were the first Europeans to settle in mainland Canada; "the border between the United States and Canada is the longest unguarded border in the world"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.