Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
past tense of make; prepared: made dinner; contrived: made a false statement
Not to be confused with:
maid – female servant: The maid cleaned our room.; a girl or young unmarried woman: a fair maid
Abused, Confused, & Misused Words by Mary Embree Copyright © 2007, 2013 by Mary Embree
Past tense and past participle of make.
1. Produced or manufactured by constructing, shaping, or forming. Often used in combination: handmade lace; ready-made suits.
2. Produced or created artificially: bought some made goods at the crafts fair.
3. Having been invented; contrived: These made excuses of yours aren't plausible.
4. Assured of success: a made man.
Perfectly suited for: They're really made for each other.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
the past tense and past participle of make1
1. artificially produced
2. (in combination) produced or shaped as specified: handmade.
3. get it made have it made informal to be assured of success
4. made of money very rich
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. pt. and pp. of make.adj.
2. produced (often used in combination): machine-made clothes.
3. artificially produced; not originating in nature: made fur.
4. invented; concocted: a made story.
5. prepared from several ingredients: a made dish.
6. assured of success: a made man.Idioms:
have it made, Informal. to be confident or possessed of success.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||made - produced by a manufacturing process; "bought some made goods at the local store; rope and nails"|
ready-made - made for purchase and immediate use
|2.||made - (of a bed) having the sheets and blankets set in order; "a neatly made bed"|
unmade - (of a bed) not having the sheets and blankets set in order; "an unmade bed with tangled sheets and blankets"
|3.||made - successful or assured of success; "now I am a made man forever"- Christopher Marlowe|
successful - having succeeded or being marked by a favorable outcome; "a successful architect"; "a successful business venture"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
biti sestavljen izizdelan
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
v. pret. pp. de to make, hecho-a, producido-a.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
- Where can I have this prescription filled? (US)
Where can I get this prescription made up? (UK)
- Is it made with unpasteurised milk?
Collins Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009
madepret & pp de make
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.