Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Mag·yar(măg′yär′, mäg′-, mä′dyär′)
1. A member of the principal ethnic group of Hungary.
2. See Hungarian.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Peoples) a member of the predominant ethnic group of Hungary, also found in NW Siberia
2. (Peoples) the Hungarian language
3. (Peoples) of or relating to the Magyars or their language
4. (Languages) of or relating to the Magyars or their language
5. (Knitting & Sewing) sewing of or relating to a style of sleeve cut in one piece with the bodice
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Hun•gar•i•an(hʌŋˈgɛər i ən)
1. a native or inhabitant of Hungary.
a. a member of the ethnic group that comprises the overwhelming majority of the inhabitants of Hungary, and a significant minority in Transylvania, Slovakia, and adjacent parts of Yugoslavia.
b. the Finno-Ugric language of this group.
3. of or pertaining to Hungary or its inhabitants.
4. of or pertaining to the Hungarians as an ethnic group, or to the language Hungarian.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Magyar - a native or inhabitant of Hungary |
European - a native or inhabitant of Europe
|2.||Magyar - the official language of Hungary (also spoken in Rumania); belongs to the Ugric family of languages|
|Adj.||1.||Magyar - relating to or characteristic of Hungary; "Hungarian folk music"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007