Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Mag·yar(măg′yär′, mäg′-, mä′dyär′)
1. A member of the principal ethnic group of Hungary.
2. See Hungarian.
1. (Peoples) a member of the predominant ethnic group of Hungary, also found in NW Siberia
2. (Peoples) the Hungarian language
3. (Peoples) of or relating to the Magyars or their language
4. (Languages) of or relating to the Magyars or their language
5. (Knitting & Sewing) sewing of or relating to a style of sleeve cut in one piece with the bodice
Hun•gar•i•an(hʌŋˈgɛər i ən)
1. a native or inhabitant of Hungary.
a. a member of the ethnic group that comprises the overwhelming majority of the inhabitants of Hungary, and a significant minority in Transylvania, Slovakia, and adjacent parts of Yugoslavia.
b. the Finno-Ugric language of this group.
3. of or pertaining to Hungary or its inhabitants.
4. of or pertaining to the Hungarians as an ethnic group, or to the language Hungarian.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Magyar - a native or inhabitant of Hungary |
European - a native or inhabitant of Europe
|2.||Magyar - the official language of Hungary (also spoken in Rumania); belongs to the Ugric family of languages|
|Adj.||1.||Magyar - relating to or characteristic of Hungary; "Hungarian folk music"|