Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Manhattan: Manhattan Project
Man·hat·tan 1(măn-hăt′n, mən-)
1. A borough of New York City in southeast New York, mainly on Manhattan Island at the north end of New York Bay. Peter Minuit of the Dutch West Indies Company bought the island in 1626 from the Manhattan Indians, supposedly for $24 worth of merchandise. The settlement of New Amsterdam, renamed New York when the English assumed control in 1664, quickly spread from the southern tip of the island, eventually becoming the financial and commercial center of the United States.
2. A city of northeast Kansas west of Topeka. It is the seat of Kansas State University (established 1863).
Man·hat′tan·ite′ (-īt′) n.
Man·hat·tan 2also man·hat·tan (măn-hăt′n, mən-)
A cocktail made of sweet vermouth, whiskey, and a dash of bitters.
[After Manhattan1a borough of New York City.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) an island at the N end of New York Bay, between the Hudson, East, and Harlem Rivers: administratively (with adjacent islets) a borough of New York City; a major financial, commercial, and cultural centre. Pop: 1 537 195 (2000). Area: 47 sq km (22 sq miles)
2. (Brewing) a mixed drink consisting of four parts whisky, one part vermouth, and a dash of bitters
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Man•hat•tan(mænˈhæt n, mən-)
1. Also called Manhat′tan Is′land. an island in New York City surrounded by the Hudson, East, and Harlem rivers. 13½ mi. (22 km) long.
2. a borough of New York City approximately coextensive with Manhattan Island. 1,427,533.
3. (often l.c.) a cocktail of rye, vermouth, and bitters.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Manhattan - one of the five boroughs of New York City|
Greater New York, New York, New York City - the largest city in New York State and in the United States; located in southeastern New York at the mouth of the Hudson river; a major financial and cultural center
Fifth Avenue - an avenue in Manhattan that separates the east side of Manhattan from the west side
Seventh Avenue - an avenue in Manhattan that runs north and south
Central Park - a large park in Manhattan
Harlem - a district of Manhattan; now largely a Black ghetto
SoHo, South of Houston - a district in southwestern Manhattan noted for its shops and restaurants and galleries and artist's lofts
Bowery - a street in Manhattan noted for cheap hotels frequented by homeless derelicts
Broadway, Great White Way - a street in Manhattan that passes through Times Square; famous for its theaters
off-Broadway - low-budget theaters located outside the Broadway area in Manhattan
Times Square - the area of Manhattan around the intersection of Broadway and Seventh Avenue; heart of the New York theater district; site of annual celebration of New Year's
|2.||manhattan - a cocktail made with whiskey and sweet vermouth with a dash of bitters|
cocktail - a short mixed drink
Rob Roy - a manhattan cocktail made with Scotch whiskey
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.