Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Maori: Maori language
n. pl. Maori or Mao·ris
1. A member of a people of New Zealand, of Polynesian-Melanesian ancestry.
2. The Austronesian language of the Maori.
Of or relating to the Maori or their language or culture.
[Maori Māori, from māori, ordinary people.]
npl -ri or -ris
1. (Peoples) a member of the people living in New Zealand and the Cook Islands since before the arrival of European settlers. They are descended from Polynesian voyagers who migrated in successive waves from the ninth century onwards
2. (Languages) the language of this people, belonging to the Malayo-Polynesian family
3. (Peoples) of or relating to this people or their language
4. (Languages) of or relating to this people or their language
n., pl. -ris, (esp. collectively) -ri.
1. a member of the Polynesian people who are the aboriginal inhabitants of New Zealand.
2. the Austronesian language of the Maoris.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Maori - an ethnic minority of Polynesian and Melanesian descent who speak Maori and live in New Zealand|
ethnic minority - a group that has different national or cultural traditions from the majority of the population
|2.||Maori - the Oceanic language spoken by the Maori in New Zealand|
người Maorithuộc tộc người Maoritiếng Maori