Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Maori: Maori language
n. pl. Maori or Mao·ris
1. A member of a people of New Zealand, of Polynesian-Melanesian ancestry.
2. The Austronesian language of the Maori.
Of or relating to the Maori or their language or culture.
[Maori Māori, from māori, ordinary people.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
npl -ri or -ris
1. (Peoples) a member of the people living in New Zealand and the Cook Islands since before the arrival of European settlers. They are descended from Polynesian voyagers who migrated in successive waves from the ninth century onwards
2. (Languages) the language of this people, belonging to the Malayo-Polynesian family
3. (Peoples) of or relating to this people or their language
4. (Languages) of or relating to this people or their language
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -ris, (esp. collectively) -ri.
1. a member of the Polynesian people who are the aboriginal inhabitants of New Zealand.
2. the Austronesian language of the Maoris.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Maori - an ethnic minority of Polynesian and Melanesian descent who speak Maori and live in New Zealand|
ethnic minority - a group that has different national or cultural traditions from the majority of the population
|2.||Maori - the Oceanic language spoken by the Maori in New Zealand|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
người Maorithuộc tộc người Maoritiếng Maori
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Maori[ˈmaʊrɪ] adj & n → maori (m/f) inv
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
Maori→ اللغة الماورية, مَاوِرِيّ, مَاوِرِيُّ Maor, maorský, maorština maori, maori- Maori, maorisch Μαορί maorí maori, maori-, maorin kieli maori Maori, maorski maori マオリ人の, マオリ族, マオリ語 마오리 사람, 마오리어, 마오리의 Maori maori, maorisk język maoryski, Maorys, maoryski maori маориец, маорийский, язык маори maori, maorisk เกี่ยวกับเมารี, ชาวเมารี, ภาษาเมารี Maori, Maori dili người Maori, thuộc tộc người Maori, tiếng Maori 毛利人, 毛利族的, 毛利语
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009