Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. (Placename) the border area between England and Wales or Scotland, both characterized by continual feuding (13th–16th centuries)
2. (Placename) a region of central Italy. Capital: Ancona. Pop: 1 484 601 (2003 est). Area: 9692 sq km (3780 sq miles). Italian name: Le Marche
3. (Placename) any of various other border regions
1. the border districts between England and Scotland or England and Wales.
2. Italian, Le Mar•che (lɛ ˈmɑr kɛ) a region in central Italy on the Adriatic. 1,438,000; 3743 sq. mi. (9695 sq. km).
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Marches - a region in central Italy|