Also found in: Acronyms, Wikipedia.
Related to Marian: Marianas Trench
Mar·i·an 1(mâr′ē-ən, măr′-)
1. Of or relating to the Virgin Mary or to the veneration of the Virgin Mary as a tradition within some forms of Christianity.
2. Of or relating to Mary I of England or Mary Queen of Scots.
Mar·i·an 2(mâr′ē-ən, măr′-)
Of or relating to Gaius Marius: the Marian reforms of the legions.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Ecclesiastical Terms) of or relating to the Virgin Mary, the mother of Jesus
2. (Historical Terms) of or relating to some other Mary, such as Mary, Queen of Scots or Mary I of England
3. (Ecclesiastical Terms) a person who has a special devotion to the Virgin Mary
4. (Historical Terms) a supporter of some other Mary
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Mar•i•an(ˈmɛər i ən)
1. of or pertaining to the Virgin Mary.
2. of or pertaining to Mary I of England or Mary, Queen of Scots.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
|Adj.||1.||Marian - of or relating to or venerating the Virgin Mary|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.