Martello tower(redirected from Martello Fort)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
A short, circular tower, usually made of stone and located near a shoreline as a defensive fortification.
[After Cape Mortella, Corsica, where such a tower was taken from French control by British forces in 1794 (influenced by Italian martello, hammer, in torre di martello, hammer tower, a kind of watchtower of the coasts and islands of the Tyrrhenian Sea from which an alarm signal was given by striking a bell with a hammer rather than by lighting a fire).]
Martello tower(mɑːˈtɛləʊ) or
(Fortifications) a small circular tower for coastal defence, formerly much used in Europe
[C18: after Cape Mortella in Corsica, where the British navy captured a tower of this type in 1794]
Mar•tel′lo tow`er(mɑrˈtɛl oʊ)
a circular fort.
[after Cape Mortella, Corsica, where a tower of this kind was taken by British forces in 1794]
An English artillery coastal fortification copied from a tower captured in Corsica 1794; 74 were built on the east and south coasts of England against the French invasion threat 1805–12.