Ali(redirected from Maula Ali)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
A·li(ä-lē′) Full name Ali ibn Abi Talib. 600?-661.
Muslim caliph (656-661) whose reign was marked by the division of Islam into Sunni and Shiite sects. This schism intensified after his assassination by members of a third Muslim sect.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Biography) ?600–661 ad, fourth caliph of Islam (656–61 ad), considered the first caliph by the Shiites: cousin and son-in-law of Mohammed
2. (Biography) See Mehemet Ali
3. (Biography) See Muhammad Ali
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
A•li(ˈɑ li, ɑˈli for 1–4; ɑˈli for 5 )
1. (‘Alī ibn-abu-Talib), a.d. c600-61, fourth caliph of Islam 656-661 (cousin and son-in-law of Muhammad): considered the first caliph by Shi‘ites.
2. Muhammad (Cassius Marcellus Clay, Jr.), born 1942, U.S. boxer.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Ali - United States prizefighter who won the world heavyweight championship three times (born in 1942)|
|2.||Ali - the fourth caliph of Islam who is considered to be the first caliph by Shiites; he was a cousin and son-in-law of Muhammad; after his assassination Islam was divided into Shiite and Sunnite sects|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.