Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
may·ap·pleor May apple (mā′ăp′əl)
1. A rhizomatous plant (Podophyllum peltatum) of eastern North America, having large umbrellalike leaves, a single, nodding white flower, and yellow fruit. The ripe fruit is edible, but the roots, leaves, and seeds of the plant are poisonous.
2. The fruit of this plant. In both senses also called mandrake.
1. (Plants) an American berberidaceous plant, Podophyllum peltatum, with edible yellowish egg-shaped fruit
2. (Plants) the fruit of this plant
1. a North American plant, Podophyllum peltatum, of the barberry family, bearing an edible, yellowish, egg-shaped fruit.
2. the fruit itself.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||May apple - edible but insipid fruit of the May apple plant|
mayapple, Podophyllum peltatum, wild mandrake, May apple - North American herb with poisonous root stock and edible though insipid fruit
fruit - the ripened reproductive body of a seed plant
|2.||May apple - North American herb with poisonous root stock and edible though insipid fruit|
May apple - edible but insipid fruit of the May apple plant