Mayan(redirected from Mayans)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. A Maya.
2. A linguistic stock of Central America that includes Quiché and Yucatec.
Of or relating to the Maya, their culture, or the Mayan linguistic stock.
1. (Peoples) of, relating to, or characteristic of the Maya or any of their languages
2. (Languages) of, relating to, or characteristic of the Maya or any of their languages
3. (Languages) a family of Central American Indian languages, including Maya, possibly a member of the Penutian phylum
4. (Peoples) another name for a Maya2
1. of or pertaining to the Maya, their culture, or their languages.n.
2. a family of languages spoken by Mayan peoples, including Yucatec, Mam, and Quiché.
AD 100–1542 An Indian civilization based on agriculture. Mayans built their homes and pyramidal temples from limestone. They carved important dates on stone using picture writing which has recently been deciphered. Cities were centered around royal houses and religious structures. Mayan culture is noted for its advances in architecture, the arts, astronomy, and mathematics.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Mayan - a member of an American Indian people of Yucatan and Belize and Guatemala who had a culture (which reached its peak between AD 300 and 900) characterized by outstanding architecture and pottery and astronomy; "Mayans had a system of writing and an accurate calendar"|
American Indian, Indian, Red Indian - a member of the race of people living in America when Europeans arrived
Cakchiquel - a member of the Mayan people living in south central Guatemala
Kekchi - a member of a Mayan people of north central Guatemala
Mam - a member of a Mayan people of southwestern Guatemala
Quiche - a member of the Mayan people of south central Guatemala
|2.||Mayan - a family of American Indian languages spoken by Maya|
American-Indian language, Amerind, Amerindian language, American Indian, Indian - any of the languages spoken by Amerindians
Kekchi - a Mayan language spoken by the Kekchi
Mam - a Mayan language spoken by the Mam
Quiche - the Mayan language spoken by the Quiche
Cakchiquel - the Mayan language spoken by the Cakchiquel