Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A city of western Saudi Arabia near the coast of the Red Sea. The birthplace of Muhammad, it is the holiest city of Islam and a pilgrimage site for devout Muslims.
Mec′can adj. & n.
a. A place that is regarded as the center of an activity or interest.
b. A goal to which adherents of a religious faith or practice fervently aspire.
2. A place visited by many people: a mecca for tourists.
[After Mecca (from its being a place of pilgrimage).]
1. (Placename) a city in W Saudi Arabia, joint capital (with Riyadh) of Saudi Arabia: birthplace of Mohammed; the holiest city of Islam, containing the Kaaba. Pop: 1 529 000 (2005 est). Arabic name: Makkah
2. (sometimes not capital) a place that attracts many visitors: Athens is a Mecca for tourists.
1. a city in W Saudi Arabia: birthplace of Muhammad; spiritual center of Islam. 550,000.
2. (often l.c.) a place that attracts many people with interests in common.
Mec′can, adj., n.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Mecca - joint capital (with Riyadh) of Saudi Arabia; located in western Saudi Arabia; as the birthplace of Muhammad it is the holiest city of Islam|
Caaba, Kaaba - (Islam) a black stone building in Mecca that is shaped like a cube and that is the most sacred Muslim pilgrim shrine; believed to have been given by Gabriel to Abraham; Muslims turn in its direction when praying
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Saudi Arabia - an absolute monarchy occupying most of the Arabian Peninsula in southwest Asia; vast oil reserves dominate the economy
|2.||mecca - a place that attracts many visitors; "New York is a mecca for young artists"|
La MecqueMecque (la)
thánh đường Mecca
n (lit, fig) → Mekka nt