Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Medicare: Medicaid, Medicare and Medicaid
Med·i·carealso med·i·care (mĕd′ĭ-kâr′)
A program under the US Social Security Administration that reimburses hospitals and physicians for medical care provided to qualifying people over 65 years old.
1. (Social Welfare) (in the US) a federally sponsored health insurance programme for persons of 65 or older
2. (Social Welfare) (often not capital) (in Canada) a similar programme covering all citizens
3. (Social Welfare) (in Australia) a government-controlled general health-insurance scheme
[C20: medi(cal) + care]
1. (sometimes l.c.) a U.S. government program of medical insurance for aged or disabled persons.
2. (l.c.) any of various government-funded programs to provide medical care to a population.
A health insurance program for people over 65 years old, under which the government pays the medical expenses of qualifying people.
n. Programa de asistencia médica del gobierno de los Estados Unidos a personas desde los 65 años de edad en adelante o a adultos incapacitados para trabajar.