Melanesian(redirected from Melanesians)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Of or relating to Melanesia or its peoples, languages, or cultures.
1. A member of any of the indigenous peoples of Melanesia.
2. A subfamily of the Austronesian languages that includes the languages of Melanesia.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Languages) of or relating to Melanesia, its people, or their languages
1. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of Melanesia: generally Negroid with frizzy hair and small stature
2. (Languages) a group or branch of languages spoken in Melanesia, belonging to the Malayo-Polynesian family
3. (Languages) See also Neo-Melanesian
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||Melanesian - of or relating to Melanesia or its people or culture|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.