Also found in: Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Of or relating to Mercia or its people, dialect, or culture.
1. A native or inhabitant of Mercia.
2. The Old English dialect of Mercia.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Languages) of or relating to Mercia or the dialect spoken there
1. (Languages) the dialect of Old and Middle English spoken in the Midlands of England south of the River Humber
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Mer•ci•an(ˈmɜr ʃi ən, -ʃən)
1. a native or inhabitant of Mercia.
2. the dialect of Old English spoken in Mercia.adj.
3. of or pertaining to Mercia, its inhabitants, or their dialect.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.