cinnabar(redirected from Mercury (II) sulfide)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Mercury (II) sulfide: mercuric sulfide
1. A heavy reddish mercuric sulfide, HgS, that is the principal ore of mercury.
2. See mercuric sulfide.
3. See vermilion.
[Middle English cinabare, from Latin cinnabaris, from Greek kinnabari.]
cin′na·bar′ine (-bär′ĭn, -īn, -bə-rīn′) adj.
1. (Minerals) a bright red or brownish-red mineral form of mercuric sulphide (mercury(II) sulphide), found close to areas of volcanic activity and hot springs. It is the main commercial source of mercury. Formula: HgS. Crystal structure: hexagonal
2. (Elements & Compounds) the red form of mercuric sulphide (mercury(II) sulphide), esp when used as a pigment
3. (Colours) a bright red to reddish-orange; vermilion
4. (Animals) a large red-and-black European moth, Callimorpha jacobaeae: family Arctiidae (tiger moths, etc)
[C15: from Old French cenobre, from Latin cinnābaris, from Greek kinnabari, of Oriental origin]
1. a mineral, mercuric sulfide, HgS, occurring in red crystals or masses: the principal ore of mercury.
2. red mercuric sulfide, used as a pigment.
3. bright red; vermilion.
[1350–1400; < Middle English cynoper < Medieval Latin, Latin cinnabaris < Greek kinnábari]
cin`na•bar′ine (-aɪn, -ɪn) cin`na•bar′ic (-ˈbær ɪk) adj.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cinnabar - a heavy reddish mineral consisting of mercuric sulfide; the chief source of mercury|
atomic number 80, Hg, hydrargyrum, mercury, quicksilver - a heavy silvery toxic univalent and bivalent metallic element; the only metal that is liquid at ordinary temperatures
mineral - solid homogeneous inorganic substances occurring in nature having a definite chemical composition
|2.||cinnabar - large red-and-black European moth; larvae feed on leaves of ragwort; introduced into United States to control ragwort|
arctiid, arctiid moth - stout-bodied broad-winged moth with conspicuously striped or spotted wings; larvae are hairy caterpillars
|Adj.||1.||cinnabar - of a vivid red to reddish-orange color|
chromatic - being or having or characterized by hue