mimosa(redirected from Mimoso)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of various mostly tropical plants of the genus Mimosa in the pea family, having globular heads of small flowers with protruding stamens and usually bipinnate, compound leaves often sensitive to touch or light.
2. Any of various similar plants of the genus Acacia in the pea family, especially silver wattle.
3. See silk tree.
4. A drink consisting of champagne and orange juice.
[New Latin Mīmōsa, genus name, from Latin mīmus, mime (from the plant's apparent mimicry of animal reactions), from Greek mīmos.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) any tropical shrub or tree of the leguminous genus Mimosa, having ball-like clusters of yellow or pink flowers and compound leaves that are often sensitive to touch or light. See also sensitive plant
2. (Plants) any similar or related tree
[C18: from New Latin, probably from Latin mīmus mime, because the plant's sensitivity to touch imitates the similar reaction of animals]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
mi•mo•sa(mɪˈmoʊ sə, -zə)
n., pl. -sas.
1. any of numerous plants, shrubs, or trees belonging to the genus Mimosa, of the legume family, native to tropical or warm regions, having small flowers in globular heads or cylindrical spikes.
2. any of various similar or related plants, as the silk tree.
3. a cocktail of orange juice and champagne.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||mimosa - evergreen Australasian tree having white or silvery bark and young leaves and yellow flowers|
genus Acacia - large genus of shrubs and trees and some woody vines of Central and South America, Africa, Australia and Polynesia: wattle; mimosa
wattle - any of various Australasian trees yielding slender poles suitable for wattle
|2.||mimosa - any of various tropical shrubs or trees of the genus Mimosa having usually yellow flowers and compound leaves|
genus Mimosa - genus of spiny woody shrubs or trees; named for their apparent imitation of animal sensitivity to light and heat and movement
Mimosa sensitiva, sensitive plant - semi-climbing prickly evergreen shrub of tropical America having compound leaves sensitive to light and touch
action plant, humble plant, live-and-die, Mimosa pudica, sensitive plant, shame plant, touch-me-not - prostrate or semi-erect subshrub of tropical America, and Australia; heavily armed with recurved thorns and having sensitive soft grey-green leaflets that fold and droop at night or when touched or cooled
|3.||mimosa - a mixed drink containing champagne and orange juice|
mixed drink - made of two or more ingredients
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
ميموزا، السِّت المِسْتحِيَّه
mimosa[mɪˈməʊzə] N → mimosa f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
mimosa[mɪˈməʊzə] n → mimosa
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
a plant with small flowers and fern-like leaves which close when touched (also called sensitive plant). mimosa ميموزا، السِّت المِسْتحِيَّه мимоза mimosa mimóza die Mimose mimose μιμόζαmimosa mimoos گیاه حساس mimoosa mimosa מִימוֹזָה पौधों का छुई मुई वंश mimoza mimóza puteri malu mímósa mimosa ミモザ 미모사 mimoza mimoza pokok semalu mimosasanseplante, mimosa mimoza يو ډول بوټى mimosa mimoză мимоза mimóza mimoza mimoza mimosa ต้นไมยราบ küstümotu, mimoza 含羞草 мімоза چھوئی موئی cây mimosa 含羞草
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.