Mister(redirected from Misters)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
Related to Misters: Lowes
1. Used as a courtesy title before the surname, full name, or professional title of a man, usually written in its abbreviated form: Mr. Jones; Mr. Secretary.
2. Used as the official term of address for certain US military personnel, such as warrant officers.
3. mister Informal Used as a form of address for a man: Watch your step, mister.
4. Informal One's husband or boyfriend: My mister says hello.
[Alteration of master.]
1. an informal form of address for a man
2. (Military) navy
a. the official form of address for subordinate or senior warrant officers
b. the official form of address for all officers in a merchant ship, other than the captain
c. US navy the official form of address used by the commanding officer to his officers, esp to the more junior
3. (Medicine) Brit the form of address for a surgeon
4. the form of address for officials holding certain positions: mister chairman.
(tr) informal to call (someone) mister
[C16: variant of master]
the full form of Mr
1. (cap.) a title of respect prefixed to a man's name or position (usu. written Mr.).
2. (used by itself as an informal term of address to a man) Watch out, mister!
3. the title used in addressing a military warrant officer or any naval officer below the rank of commander.
4. Older Use. husband.
[1545–55; variant of master]
Past participle: mistered
1. (gen abbr Mr) → señor m (gen abbr Sr.)
2. (in direct address) hey, mister! → ¡oiga, usted!
(abbreviated to Mr when written) a polite title given to a male adult, either in writing or in speech. Good morning, Mr Smith; Ask Mr Jones. Meneer سَيِّد господин senhor pan der Herr hr κύριος Señor härra اقا herra Monsieur אדון श्रीमान gospodin úr Tuan herra signore, signor ～さん ...씨, ...님 misteris, ponas misters; kungs Encik mijnheerherrpan ښاغلى senhor domnul мистер, господин pán gospod gospodin herr[n] นาย (คำย่อคือ Mr.) Bay 先生 містер, пан صاحب، میاں gọi bằng ông 先生